Desert flowers

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween

Well, it is October 31, and I had to write this experience today. So my daughter changed her mind about her costume from a mime (just couldn't find the right striped shirt, let alone a pair of black pants that weren't leggins and too tight to wear alone!) to a Hippie costume. Luckily for her, mom had a green tie die tube top beach cover up with a peace sign embroidered on the front, Zara had good appropriate sunglasses, as well as a few bead necklaces, flip flops and a wild sequin sash thingy she was going to tie around her head. OK. Well, it was something. My son on the other hand was a little more consistent in what he wanted to be. A Zombie DJ. Yes. What is that?! Couldn''t persuade him to be a pirate or anything else less, well, dead. So I am not really happy about this choice but everything else suggested is shot down. He has gathered his costume bits...baggy shorts, big hoodie and sunglasses. Not too original, but hey, then we consider the dead part and the white makeup with scars and stitches, and I guess he's got it. Now, bear in mind, that although it is fall here, and yes the weather HAS cooled down, at 10 am it is still 26 degrees, and will be warmer this afternoon at 2:30 for the parade. He's goign to be wearing a hoodie. I am still disturbed about the fact that the only 'costume-y' thing going on with him is going to be this make up that we will have to figure out over the lunch break, when I make a decision to google 'DJ Costumes'. I find the little kid's' DJ character from some TV show, but not really suitable for my 8 year old. THEN I come across 'home-made-costumes. com' or something similar and a woman has a picture of her niece's get up as a DJ. Awesome. It all revolves (tee hee) around the turntable with records on it hung around her nieces neck! I figure...yes, I can do that, and then MAYBE we can skip the makeup if Jude gets a REAL DJ look going on! I grab my can of spray glue (sorry environment), the backing to one of the kids' many art pieces (black pseudo cardboard) a garbage bag and then some shiny craft paper for the records as black records on black turntable doesn't really stand out! I cut out DJ JUDE from craft paper, glue onto the black garbage back, staple that to the black cardboard to cover his legs and make it look like a table or box or something a DJ would stand behind! Then, cut two circles from the shiny paper for records, and then figure out how to hang it on his neck. Dog leashes! The lady from the website said her niece had suspenders, but alas, no suspenders in this house! Lots of dog leashes on the other hand...and black to boot! So, after making appropriate holes, I realized that we would need some reinforcement of duck tape, yes thankfully we had that, and now once threaded, we will just have to measure how long Jude needs it. Whew!! All this done outside on our old table, trying to avoid dripping sweat from my brow onto the black cardboard. Yes, the weather has changed but not all that much, however, when you are a mother, desperately trying to work around a morbid costume idea, at 10am the morning of Halloween, and know you only have one more hour before your son shows up to get ready for the afternoon...the sweat is not entirely from the heat! Let's hope he buys it!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Heather, as the response buttons on this blog are all written in Arabic I'm struggling to try and write you guys. Found your blog today after a few minutes of trying to googel Mark. Please pass along a hello to Mark, we should try to connect again sometime soon. I've been over to Uganda 4 times in the past few years, would love to skip accross the pond and visit you guys sometime? My email address if Mark has some time is cameron@cgbadvisor.com Thanks Heather, the girls are getting big as are the dogs (well, kind of).Cameron Biffart

    ReplyDelete